Exemplars: Deacons as Servant and Spiritual Leaders
The CONTENT and FORMAT of this workbook is designed to encourage robust conversation within diaconates as well as between deacons, clergy and other laity. For deacons to reach their full potential as servant and spiritual leaders, thoughtful and prayerful conversation must happen. All of us grow spiritually as we listen and speak to one another with open minds and loving hearts. “Exemplars” was born and has been developed out of conversations, and is offered with prayer for the Holy Spirit to use it and the conversations produced to renew today’s Church.
The PURPOSE of “Exemplars” is to encourage and inspire deacons to become servant and spiritual leaders as they seek to be EXEMPLARS of Christ. The writing team of Guy Sayles, Mike Smith, Carol Younger and Daniel Vestal explored a matrix or framework for individual deacon development as well as formation for an entire diaconate. We believe it can be helpful as a study guide for an individual deacon but will be best used in a group format where deacons study together, hold one another accountable and offer support and encouragement.
WHO DO DEACONS NEED TO BE?
- DEACONS ARE LIVING PORTRAITS WHO ARE PART OF GOD’S MASTERPIECE
- DEACONS ARE THE BELOVED CHILDREN OF GOD WHO EXPERIENCE GRACE
- DEACONS ARE MEMBER OF CHRIST’S CHURCH WHO ARE GIFTED WITH THE SPIRIT
WHAT DO DEACONS NEED TO KNOW?
- DEACONS KNOW THE SCRIPTURE AND HOW TO INTERPRET IT IN THE LIGHT OF JESUS
- DEACONS LEARN CHURCH HISTORY
- DEACONS THINK THEOLOGICALLY
WHAT DO DEACONS NEED TO DO?
- DEACONS PRACTICE PUBLIC WORSHIP AND PRIVATE PRAYER
- DEACONS PRACTICE PARTNERSHIP IN GOD’S MISSION
- DEACONS PRACTICE CREATIVE AND GENEROUS STEWARDSHIP
DEVELOPED AND PROVIDED BY: THE BAUGH CENTER FOR BAPTIST LEADERSHIP OF MERCER UNIVERSITY. For more information, contact Libby Allen at email@example.com , 678-547-6539.
PUBLISHED AND DISTRIBUTED BY: SMYTH AND HELWYS PUBLISHING, MACON, GA